Raccoons Reimagined Princess Margaret Fountain (Daily)
This summer, the CNE is featuring an intriguing new installation involving the furry creatures that Torontonians “love to hate”. Twelve large fibreglass raccoons, decorated with distinction by artists and community-based organizations, will be on display around the Princess Margaret Fountain every day of the CNE. The project began earlier in the year, when the CNE approached a number of organizations working with persons with disabilities in the Greater Toronto Area, to determine if they would like to participate in this special art project.
The response was fantastic with a total of twelve raccoons being spoken for. The 6 foot fiberglass forms were delivered and each recipient was challenged to transform it into a unique piece of art celebrating “the raccoon”.
The twelve raccoons on display at the CNE have been created by:
• Abilities Centre, Whitby, Ontario
• Valerie Ashton & Heidi Burkhardt, Ontario Society of Artists
• Currant Development Group – Out of the Box Project
• Jake’s House
• Niam Jian during the Mosaic South Asian Festival in early August
• LIFEspan at Rumsey Centre
• John Maurer, Ontario Society of Artists
• Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB)
• Saint Oscar Romero Catholic
• Secondary School – Group of artists from three Special Education Classes
• St. Sebastian Elementary Catholic School – Team 218: 10 artists from its Language Impairment Intensive Support Program
• Toronto District School Board (TDSB)
• Eastdale Collegiate Secondary School – Kaslo Blake, Mahir Daiyan, Cavera Downey, Taryn Riffin
• Westview Centennial Secondary School – Grade 10 student, Sade Johnson.
• Toronto Rehab Foundation
Bandshell Concert Highlights
There is a great lineup of concerts at the CNE Bandshell this year including:
• Burton Cummings (August16)
• Woodstock Weekend: 50th Anniversary Tribute (August 17 & 18)
• April Wine (August 23)
• Jann Arden (August 24)
• Howard Jones (August 29)
• Walk off the Earth (August 31)
• A Tribe Called Red (September 1).
*There is an accessible section for wheelchairs and scooters for all CNE Bandshell concerts in Bandshell Park.
Other 2019 Highlights
ILL-ABILITIES Dance Crewn (August 16 to 24) International Stage, Enercare Centre, Hall B
ILL-ABILITIES is an all-star team of differently-abled dancers whose goal is to inspire audiences with its positive attitudes and unique dance moves! This international break dance crew is comprised of eight dancers from around the world. In its show, Dis-connect, ILL-ABILITIES shares the individual stories of its performers with motivational entertainment programs and theatrical dance moves. It’s an experience not to be missed!