VOLUNTEER -CHILD AND FAMILY SUPPORT
DESCRIPTION:Child & Family Support Volunteer
Help support families experiencing multiple stresses and isolation. Volunteers act as a resource to families providing them the means to discover and connect with social supports in their community and to make positive changes in their lives. Volunteers work with families in their homes and in the community, and interact with children (newborn- 4 years of age) in such a way as to enhance the children’s capacity for successful development. Volunteers support newcomer moms to care for their children and family.
AREA SERVED: Throughout Toronto: Volunteers are matched with a client in their area
- Visit weekly on the same day for three hours (Weekday)
- Engage in meaningful conversation with parent
- Provide information and referrals to community resources
- Accompany mom and child(ren) to local community resources i.e. Early Years Center
- Educate and inform parent about upcoming community events and activities
- Introduce new learning activities to children
- Partner with parent to plan and make new, healthy meals
- Complete and submit a weekly visit log
- 1 Assignment is 12 weeks in length
- 1 Visit per week
- 3 hours per week plus travel time
- Visits happen once per week (Monday- Friday) for 3 hours between 9am -5pm
- 3-6 months.
- Opportunities will be available to help more than one family during this time
Age Requirement: Must be 18+
- Friendly and caring attitude
- Related childcare experience an asset
- Experienced and sensitive to working with culturally diverse families
- Creativity in planning and implementing activities
- Knowledge of community resources an asset
- Strong listening skills & oral communication skills to engage and support client
- Previous volunteer experience an asset
- Second Language an asset
- Orientation to the agency and volunteer program
- Role training provided
- Monthly Volunteer Support Meetings where we invite speakers from various community agencies to present on topics that are relevant to your role as a Child and Family Support Volunteer.
- Ongoing education/development opportunities provided
Screening And Supervision:
- Application form
- 2 supervisory reference checks
- Signed Agreements and Policies
- Clear Criminal Reference check including Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Reports to Program Supervisor on a weekly basis
- Formal 3 month and annual evaluation
- Program Supervisor will be available for feedback and support
Visits occur in the homes of families with at least one child under the age of 4 living in priority neighbourhoods in Toronto
- No personal care given to client.
- No exchange of personal contact information (phone numbers, e-mails, addresses, etc).
- Keep the disclosure of other personal information limited.
- Do Not accept gifts from client; Do not give gifts to client
- Professional training
- Potential career-related experience
- Enhance personal growth
- Increase communication skills
- Decrease the feeling of isolation felt by the parent being served
- Make an impact with the client / in the community
- Facilitate learning targeted to specific needs of children
- Apply current skills, learn new, transferable skills
- Reference after fulfillment of commitment
VHA Home HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
VHA is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment.
If you require accommodation to participate fully in the interview process, let us know in advance.
Accredited by Accreditation Canada