Job Title: Disability and Wellness Lead
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Position Status: Full-time
Posted Date: Jul 24, 2019
If you value the opportunity to work for one of the GTA’s Top Employers while making a difference and contributing to the wellbeing of staff and clients then CAST is the place for you!
The Children’s Aid Society of Toronto (CAST) is proud of their long history of leadership in protecting children and their commitment to the provision of quality service to children and their families. If you are looking to make a difference in the lives of children, we have an opportunity for you. Working in the heart of the city at Yonge and Bloor with excellent remuneration, benefits and vacation entitlements, come join us and be part of our Human Resources Team and work for one of the city’s Top Employers.
The following Permanent, Full-time position is available and applications are invited:
Disability and Wellness Lead – Human Resources
Job Posting: JP#19-144
Salary: $85,644 – $106,194
The Disability and Wellness Lead facilitates the development and proactive management of CAS of Toronto’s disability and wellness programs inclusive of attendance management and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) requirements. This position supports CAST’s management and staff by understanding the key objectives of providing a comprehensive, progressive and supportive approach to both occupational and non-occupational injury or illness and wellbeing. The Disability and Wellness Lead provides, coaching and consultation to management, employees, union and third-party stakeholders. With their systems perspective, the Lead will apply their knowledge and skills to facilitate inclusive and innovative methodologies for all aspects of disability management processes including short and long term disability, accommodation, and return to work as well as develop, implement, monitor and evaluate a Wellness program for the organization.
- Provides best practice in the design and implementation of programs aimed at supporting employees through all stages of occupational and non-occupational illness and injury.
- Leads and facilitates employee re-integration to the workplace through planning, implementation and coordinating timely modified work programs; liaising with other health care professionals, third party consultants, disability insurance carriers and the WSIB; and coordinating employee health surveillance programs.
- Oversees the provision of the incidental and short-term disability management services; collaborates with Human Resources partners and managers regarding disability management and absence prevention.
- Recommends and implements changes for the continuous improvement of both the disability and attendance management programs by monitoring effectiveness, efficiencies and identifying trends.
- Coordinates the process and subsequent placement of employees with complex accommodations and/or permanent placements.
- Manages the attendance management program, providing assistance, advice and training to ensure compliance.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with AODA standards/requirements and acts as primary contact and subject matter expert for AODA related issues/complaints.
- Assists with overseeing ergonomic requirements for staff which includes providing assessments.
- Accountable for regularly gathering, maintaining statistics and reports.
- Works in partnership with the Sr. Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety to provide proactive approaches to support a safe work environment, and assists with special projects as required.
- Develops and delivers content for various interventions and training as needed and called for.
- Acts in accordance with and incorporates Society’s Code of Ethics, Confidentiality, Anti-Oppression/Anti-Racism, Harassment & Discrimination policies, etc.
- Uses sound judgment in consideration of financial resources.
- Complies with Society’s policies and procedures.
- Works in a safe manner in accordance with the Society’s health and safety policies and procedures and all relevant legislation.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completed University Degree in a related field such as Human Resources, Rehabilitation Counselling, Kinesiology, Health Sciences or Social Sciences. Occupational Health Certification or RN or Nurse Practitioner certification an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in a related field such as disability/WSIB management, health & safety, human resources or occupational health, including experience with complex claims management preferably in a unionized and public sector environment.
- Experience with workplace health programs is preferred as well as a working knowledge of external insurance providers.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of legislation and principles pertaining to disability management/ support, WSIB, return to work and accommodation.
- Thorough working knowledge of and understanding of disability legislation and regulations, including Duty to Accommodate, Workers’ Compensation Act and Human Rights Legislation, and AODA.
- Client service and outcome orientation coupled with superior communication and influencing skills.
- Effective case management skills requiring active involvement and advanced strategies for managing complex cases and work reentry programs.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to customize communications to a variety of audiences while maintaining positive relations with multiple stakeholders.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable with dynamic, ever-changing environment and apply sound judgement and flexibility to determine solutions right for the circumstance.
- Self-motivated & goal oriented – high initiative and ability to prioritize and multi-task while meeting tight deadlines, and effectively manage internal/external relations, and adapt to changing priorities.
- High degree of proficiency in all MS office applications, and claims management software.
- Ability to preserve confidentiality.
- Promotes inclusiveness and recognizes and respects the value of diversity within our community and our workforce.
- Certification (or underway) as a Certified Disability Management Professional (CDMP) or Certified Return to Work Co-coordinator (CRTWC) through the National Institute of Disability Management, or equivalent is an asset.
- Previous experience implementing and maintaining compliance with the AODA committee and standards.
- Proficiency in French and/or a second language.
THIS POSITION IS NOT WITHIN THE BARGAINING UNIT
Anti-Oppression/Anti-Racism at CAST
CAST is committed to having a workforce that is reflective of the diversity of the City of Toronto and strongly encourages application from all qualified individuals, especially those who can provide different perspectives and contribute to a further diversification of ideas.
Accommodation at CAST
We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Department at 416-924-4640 x2300. Human Resources will work together with the hiring committee to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Apply directly on our website at www.torontocas.ca under the Employment section by FRIDAY, AUGUST 23, 2019.
If you cannot apply on our website, applications can be faxed (416-324-2400), or mailed (30 Isabella Street, 5th Floor) to the attention of Human Resources, clearly indicating the Job Posting Number: JP#19-144.
Please note: we will be reviewing applications as they are submitted- applications received after the deadline date will not be accepted.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified applicants will be contacted. Apply Now